Postdoctoral Research Fellowship available in the DSI/NRF SARChI Research Chair: Environmental and Social Dimensions of the Bio-economy
Closing date for applications: 15 August, 2022
Applications are invited for a post-doctoral research fellowship centred on agroecology and sustainable agricultural futures, beginning January 2023. The position forms part of the SARChI Bio-economy Research Chair held by Professor Rachel Wynberg and is based in the Department of Environmental and Geographical Science at the University of Cape Town,
We seek a suitably qualified scholar to join a dynamic team of researchers in exploring critical perspectives relating to this rapidly growing field.
Potential applicants should have a background in sustainable agriculture and/or transformative food systems, and good knowledge of agroecology and regenerative approaches to agriculture. Research areas might include food and seed sovereignty, farmers’ rights, agrobiodiversity, foodways in the global South, critical perspectives on biotechnology
and its governance, and traditional knowledge. Experience of working on approaches that strengthen the rights of small-holder farmers would be an advantage.
The tenure of the fellowship is for two years, with the second year subject to satisfactory progress. The value of the fellowship is R300,000 per annum, which is tax-free. The fellowship does not include benefits or travel/relocation costs. An additional allowance is available for conference and fieldwork expenses.
1. A PhD in a relevant field, awarded within the last five years (recently submitted PhDs will also be considered)
2. Evidence of strong scholarly performance (e.g. publications, participation in research projects, networks, conference presentations)
3. A strong interest in inter- and transdisciplinarity
4. Interest in working with and supervising postgraduate students and as a member of a research team
5. Interest in engaged scholarship
Applications should be sent to Fahdelah.Hartley@uct.ac.za and should include:
1. A detailed letter of motivation describing your interest in the fellowship, the work you wish to pursue, and its alignment to the theme of agroecology and sustainable agricultural futures
2. A comprehensive CV
3. At least one example of recent, written work
4. The names and contact details of two referees
Further information can be obtained from Rachel.Wynberg@uct.ac.za
Further information about postdoctoral fellows at UCT can be found at: http://www.uct.ac.za/main/research/postdoc-research-fellowships
Further information about the Bio-economy Chair can be found at: www.bio-economy.org.za